Phoenix K-1 Visa Lawyers

Helping Foreign Fiancé(e)s Travel to the U.S.

The K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign citizens to enter the United States to marry a U.S. citizen. Once the couple marries, the foreign citizen can apply for a green card. The K-1 visa process can be confusing, and an applicant's eligibility is dependent on their home country's policies. Our Phoenix K-1 visa attorneys can help you navigate the legal process and provide assistance with any questions you have.

We also offer immigration services for individuals and families who are interested in becoming U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Call (602) 254-5353 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.

The K-1 Visa Process

The K-1 visa process is initiated by the U.S. citizen petitioner. The foreign fiancé(e) must have met their future spouse in person within the last two years, cannot have any convictions for serious crimes, and must be legally free to marry. If these conditions are met, the citizen petitioner can then file an I-129F petition with their local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

The foreign citizen must then apply for a K-1 visa with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. The applicant must provide documentation to prove that the petitioner is a U.S. citizen and that the couple intends to get married in the United States.

Once the K-1 visa is issued, the foreign citizen must travel to the United States and marry the U.S. citizen within 90 days. The couple must then jointly file a petition with USCIS to adjust the foreign citizen's status to that of a lawful permanent resident. This process can take several months, so it is critical that the couple marry as soon as possible after the K-1 visa is issued.

Documentation Needed to Qualify for a K-1 Visa

In order to qualify for a K-1 visa, you must produce certain proof. For the citizen petitioner, this includes documentation that they are an American citizen, such as a U.S. birth certificate, an unexpired passport, a certification of naturalization or citizenship, and/or other forms of proof. Foreign fiancé(e)s will be required to provide certain documents, including their passport, birth certificate, police records, and/or applicable military records, as requested by the U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country.

You will also need to provide proof of your relationship. This can include photographs, airline tickets or hotel receipts, military orders showing leave, or other documentation that proves you are a couple who have met in person.

What Is the Difference Between a K-1 Visa and a K-2 Visa?

A K-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa given to minor children (under the age of 21) of a K-1 visa holder. The K-2 visa allows the child to enter the United States to visit their parent and their parent’s new spouse. It also allows the minor child or children to apply for lawful permanent residence at the same time or after their parent does.

Our Phoenix K-1 visa lawyers can help you navigate the process and provide friendly and compassionate assistance with any questions you have. Call (602) 254-5353 or contact us online. Services are available in English and Spanish.


Schedule your Consultation Today